Saturday, December 03, 2005

Problems with bringing lunch to work

I have read a lot of financial articles about all the money that can be saved by bringing your lunch to work rather than buying it from the cafeteria or local restaurants. I would estimate that I spend about $40-$50 a week on lunches. That is almost $200 per month that I could be saving. That's a good chunk of change. Financially, I understand why I should bring my lunch from home, but it is not that easy. There are 2 reasons for that I have a hard time with this:
  1. The social aspects of going out to lunch with my work friends.
  2. I truly believe that my sanity is being saved by getting out of the office at lunch.

I have tried on numerous occasions to start bringing my lunch to work to save some money, but it has always ended in failure. For starters, when I bring my lunch in, I generally end up sitting in my office eating it, while everyone else still goes out to lunch. I feel as though I miss so much when I do not go out with them. Then there is also the problem of sitting at my desk and eating my lunch taking much less time than if I went out to lunch. It just makes the day seem so much longer because I do not get out of the office and I only take about a 15 minute lunch.

What do other young professionals think? Are you good about bringing your lunch in or do you view going out to lunch as a necessary expense?








Bringing lunch to work



Free polls from Pollhost.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

You can always start by bringing a lunch one day a week. I've seen a lot of people buy lunches and take them to the park. I've even taken a lunch to the park with the people eating out.

12/03/2005 10:21 PM  
Blogger RS said...

I agree, that is a good point. I don't need to bring it every day, but start bringing it on somedays.
There were actually a couple of times when I was bringing my lunch in that I brought it to the restaurant where everyone was going. Nobody there said anything about it, but I still felt weird eating my own lunch there.
Thanks for the comment.
-RS

12/04/2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous KJG said...

I've worked at a couple of locations and the only time I liked bringing my lunch to work was when it allowed me to leave work early (going out to eat usually takes an hour or longer - if I bring my lunch and eat in a conference room with a friend or two, it's 30 minutes, tops). I agree that lunch is usually more about socializing than saving.

12/15/2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger longge said...

Breitling now feels like a mixture of the Superocean Heritage and a few other Bentley Motors out now. So while it is not a totally Bentley Motors T piece in most regards, Navitimer Watches is still overall satisfying.

A number of things like copying THE DISTRICT videos, creating and editing videos, making your own photos THE DISTRICT DVD - the list is endless. With this THE DISTRICT DVD COLLECTION program you can also backup data that you think important and keep it archived for later use.

scarpe Hogan are not famous in a particular region but globally in every individual heart and mind. To prove hogan donna value of being one of the high profiled brand there are various unique features where every men could enjoy the kings nature, because of its benefits, Hogan scarpe uomo provide various advantages where men could feel free to say that they are happy to be apart of Hogan uomo .

7/20/2010 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares pfblogs.org logo Performancing