Friday, December 16, 2005

Pay Debt or Invest

I am not talking about the so called "bad" debts here, I am talking about "good" debt. For me, this includes my mortgage and student loans.

A question that I have been thinking about a lot since we moved into our new house was whether or not to pay extra on my mortgage each month or to save the extra money and invest it. My 30-year fixed mortgage interest rate is 4.75% and I am currently paying an extra $200 a month so that it equals an extra payment at the end of the year. DD sent me the following article the other day on this very subject. Unfortunately, their basic answer is that it depends.

The second part of this problem is with my student loans. I think that my interst rate is ~3.5% and I have not been paying any extra per month on these. I am currently paying about $350 a month on my 2 student loans, so it will be really nice when I am done paying that off.

Would it benefit me at all to take some money from my emergency fund or the next chunk of my investing money and put it towards either of these loans or should I just keep paying them as I am? Any other thoughts would be great.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the rates so low on both of those loans, I would personally not pay them off early? Why? Because interest rates are still likely to rise a bit more and you can earn more money by keeping the extra payments in a savings account than you can by paying them off early.

You can get a better rate from online banks than you're currently paying on student loans (HSBC is paying 4.25% with a $25 opening bonus). While your house loan is a bit higher, you do get tax incentives that lower that rate slightly plus if you look around you can find CDs paying higher. I also don't think it will be too long before online banks will reach the 4.75% mark

My strategy would be as follows. I would set that $200 aside as pure savings - not against your mortgage or the loans and reap the benefits of higher interest (and thus gaining the interest difference into your savings) Then if at some point you decide that you want to pay them off, you can in one big chunk at any time desired if it makes sense.

12/23/2005 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we are into fashion, we are on a lookout for cheap Coach Wallets . We know that these bags are very good deals and by getting these Coach Madison designs at a cheaper rate, we are surely getting ourselves into something good. But sometimes, the Coach Bonnie that are seen everywhere turn out to be rip offs. That is why we are advising you to be careful when you are getting cheap Coach Gallery .

And if you want to be like the trendy and the well dressed then it's time to switch to ED Hardy .This hip fashion brand is the one that many stars wear when they want to show off their attitude. ED Hardy Shoes is the final word in funky youth wear. Often termed as street wear also, hardy shirt is hugely inspired by the tattoo designs of hardy shirts.

Ladies who follow trends are long for the clean lines and creative designs of Christian Louboutin Sale. Women, who can't pay hefty prices, however very much aspire to be stylish, spend sensibly. These ladies select wholesale Christian Louboutin Pumps. Clever buyers don't let this expense of elite fashion shoes keep them away from buying the finest. Women who want luxury Christian Louboutin Boots of a renowned trendsetter know the way to have theirs. These women decide on wholesale Christian Louboutin Sandals because of much quality at a portion of the charge.

7/21/2010 3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares pfblogs.org logo Performancing