Sunday, January 29, 2006

Layoffs Can Happen...Here's How To Survive It

Layoffs unfortunately happen in the business world. I personally have never experienced one, but there have been a few rounds of layoffs at my job since I started working there. They are not a good time...many times good people get laid off just because a department has to make cuts. This is a worrisome topic for me since I am in the computer industry. I am sure that most of you have heard of off-shoring and how jobs are being sent to places like India and China. We make good money and people in those countries will do our job for a lot less. I can see how businesses look it at it think that it makes great sense, but that doesn't mean that I agree with it. What will happen when the standards of living in those other countries start to rise and then companies have to start paying them more money. Take a look at this article posted on Techdirt fro more information on how offshoring jobs to India is getting more expnesive.

Sorry about that tangent there...this post is really about how you can survive a layoff if it does hit close to home. The tips are from an article on CNN Money called "5 Tips: Surviving a layoff." Here is a quick summary of the tips...check out the article for more information.
  1. Read the writing on the wall
  2. Get a better package
  3. Collect what you are owed
  4. Don't forget that Rolodex
  5. Don't burn your bridges
I personally think that 4 and 5 are very important as these will be the most helpful to get you your next job. It is almost never a good thing when it happens (I say almost never because it can actually lead to better opportunities), but you have to quickly get back on your feet. I hope that these tips help.
Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares pfblogs.org logo Performancing