Monday, April 10, 2006

First Jobs - RS

The Budgeting Babe has a post about Turning Down Jobs (I don't think that I have ever turned down a job) and it got me thinking about jobs that I have had over the course of my life. In particualr, the first couple of jobs that I had:
  1. My first "real" job (real = not mowing the lawn or babysitting siblings for me) was at McDonald's. I worked the register and the drive-thru. It was a good starting job, no real experience needed and they are one of the only places that really hire young kids.
  2. The RX Place video counter was my next job. This was a pretty fun job, it was pretty easy and I had a bunch of friends that all worked there as well. I actually started out as a stock boy, then moved up (over?) to the video counter. During this time, I pretty much watched every movie ever made when I worked there since I got a discount. I ended up getting fired from this job over a misunderstanding over a school dance. I had asked for the day off and later found out that I didn't get the day off. I was not happy at all and one of my friends who was working that day offered to take care of it and talk to them for me. He called me later and told me that it was all set, I could have the day off. So, I went to work the next day and the manager asked me why I was there. I said that I was on the schedule to work today and he said that I was fired for not coming in the day before. That kind of hurt because I kind of liked that job at the time.
  3. My other big job in high school was working construction. This job sucked, but it paid well, so I had to stick with it. This is one of the major reasons that I decided that I had to go to college and get a degree that would allow me to not do a job that requires physical labor because I suck at it.
So, I would love to hear from our readers...what was your first job when you were younger?
Tags:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first job was inflating balloons and selling greeting cards at Factory Card and Party Outlet. It was a horrendous job, but I did it well. I met my first girlfriend there, and she introduced me to my wife, so it's definitely a job I'm glad I had.

But to this day, I absolutely, positively hate balloons with every last fiber of my being.

4/10/2006 11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first job was my morning paper route. 7 days a week, 5:45am. I did this from like 8th grade right up thru high school graduation. I remember having the first hangovers of my life and still having to deliver papers... coming home from parties at 3am, just to wake up again before 6am.. not fun. Riding my BMX the whole way.

Then, I moved on to bigger and better things like mowing lawns for a golf course. Did this for parts of 5 years.. this time 5am. It was fun, met some good friends and got free golf. I would kill for that now, but I never used it back then. oh, and I learned how to say my ABC's backwards - what else do you have to do while sitting on a mower all day long? Your mind wanders...

4/11/2006 8:10 AM  
Anonymous PENNY STOCK INVESTMENTS said...

Another job another dollar.

1/12/2014 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares pfblogs.org logo Performancing