Friday, April 14, 2006

My Coin Jar

Jeffery from Personal Finance Advice has a post asking what others coin jar looks like. It is a very timely post since I was just about to write a new post for the Frugal Living guide about coin jars. Mrs. RS just emptied our coin jar so that we could use the proceeds for extra spending money on our vacation next week. We are going on a cruise with 5 other couples to the Western Carribean...it should be a blast.

Back to our coin jar...let me start by saying that I hate change. I would like nothing more than if the government suddenly made it all worthless (well, after we change it in for us on the cruise) and we would no longer have to deal with getting change back. Pretty much without fail, anything that I buy comes to $x.08 and I have to carry $.92 around for the rest of the day. So, to keep it interesting, when I get home, I leave my change in different places around the house for my wife to find...she really loves that game. My wife loves change..actually, I think that she really likes the end product, when the jar is full and she gets to see how much we have. We usually play a game where we each guess the total that we have accumulated...just for bragging rights. The other day, we had $244.50...not too bad if you ask me.

When Mrs. RS finds the change that I leave in various places around the house, she puts it into our change jar, which is an old glass flower vase. I am not actually sure how this vase came to be our change jar, I am pretty sure that we had something else that we used to use, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what it was. We probably use a vase because it is of no use to us for flowers ever since we got our cat (he knocks everything over and apparently, some flowers are bad for cats). We might as well get some use out of it.

Here is what our coin vase looks like, but without those initials on it (our camera is already packed, so I can't get a real picture right now).


Tags:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and have a great trip

4/14/2006 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with your wife - I love change. I wish everything I bought came to $X.08..

I had been using an old Sangria bottle for a few years while I was searching for a bigger glass jar online. Then I realized that you can just buy them at beer brewing stores. They're called CarBoys.. I think mine is around 22 liters.

Found some similar ones here:
http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1200§ionID=1

Anyways, if I were to actually fill this up, I bet it would be around $10,000... not sure it's the smartest thing to keep that much in a non-interest earning jug. Maybe I'll just do pennies.

4/16/2006 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what do you do with your change? Do you count it and take it to the bank or drop it in one of those machines in the super that rip you off like 8% - 10%?
I have a bunch of change but I am to lazzy to count, sort and take it to the bank and to cheap to pay close to 10% to have some machine sort it for me. Any suggestions?

4/17/2006 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I count and roll mine myself by hand. I think it's fun - but I realize that's weird.

You could get one of those machines that separates and rolls it for you. Or you could pay a child/niece/nephew to do it for :)

4/17/2006 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to roll my dad's coins for him when I was younger; I would get the value of the rolled pennies in exchange.

I became unemployed sometime in college when his bank got a counting machine

4/21/2006 5:50 PM  
Anonymous PENNY STOCK INVESTMENTS said...

Nice peggy bank

1/12/2014 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares pfblogs.org logo Performancing